If you’ve been following the drama box, you know I’m in rewrite mode, doing a massive rewrite on the next Hollows book because it just wasn’t addressing a few things that cropped up in PALE DEMON. Yesterday, I went way past the 1/3 mark, almost to the half, not quite. And as expected, it’s time to drop back and take care of a half-dozen tweaks before I push on to the new material. The emotional responses are not quite ringing true, the points where the reader would say, “Oh, he’d never do that.” and “Why are they all ignoring the 2000 pound elephant sitting on the pool table?”
So I’m going to take about 20 minutes this morning (which I got a very late start in) and make a list of the things that are bothering me, and then dive in and fix.
This is where my character spread sheet really comes in handy, as I look at my list, see that I need to have this person say or think this thing, and then go right to the chapters where he/she is, and fit it in the best spot–rather than fumble through an entire manuscript looking for where they are. (I’ve got an example of my character spread sheet here.) It’s about the only piece of writing software I use, and I made it up from an Excel spread sheet.
If I’m lucky, I’ll start back in on new material tomorrow.
Oh, and the snow is gone, as expected. There is nothing open or up that can’t take the weather, but it was still disgusting. -laugh-