As some of you know, Mr. Fish passed peacefully last week. So of course, I had to go get a new one! It took me a good fifteen minutes at the pet shop, (and two stores) It came down to fiery red and a pale pearl. I picked the pale pearl because it was unique. Guy thought I picked the wrong one, so he bought the red one for himself. It’s in the kitchen, and the only thing it does is flair at itself. All day! Flair, flair, flair.
It turns out that my pearl beta was actually a depressed red and/or blue, because as soon as I got him home, he started gaining
color. I’m not sure what he’s going to end up being, but he’s looking happier. I’m hoping he makes a bubble nest soon. He’s blue in one light, red in another, and you can see vertical stripes running down his body. He seems to like me, and I’m even going to try to grow some brine shrimp to give him something fun to eat.
It’s day four in my rewrite of the Hollows Insider, and it’s starting to make sense, though I’m not implementing all the changes I need to do yet. This is just my first appraisal brush through, where I fix the typos and address the questions my editor has about logic issues and such. I learned way back at my first manuscript edit to separate my “editorial edit” into two sections. The first to fix the typos and tackle the questions that are associated with a page number. Once that is done, I can go through it a second time to address the more in-depth questions that might need changes peppered through the entire manuscript. Trust me, you want to nail those question-associated issues first–before you change the page count.
So right now, I’m breezing through pretty fast, tweaking as I go, getting a feel for how I’m going to handle the larger, manuscript-wide issues. I’ve got some ideas, but before I start working with them, I want to get to the end and see if there might be a less invasive way, or if the fun I’ll get out of making an entirely new layer might be worth it. ;-)