I had been trying all weekend to get to stripping a chair that Guy and I got from his folks, and I managed to work it in just last night, right after dinner. (sheesh!) Re upholstering is something that I’ve not ever done before this year, but after finding almost zilch in terms of antique furniture you can sit on that was in good condition, but lots of beautiful pieces with ugly, worn, or missing upholstery, I decided to give it a go.
I’ve done three pieces so far, after having gotten a book from the library and some stuff from a catalog. Deciding to start small, I recovered two benches and a little square piano stool, each one giving me practice in a new skill that I can take to the next project. This will be the first chair for me, and it should be pretty
straight forward. I’ll learn how to web with this one, and then I’ll move on to something with springs, perhaps. My ultimate goal is an East Lake sofa that I bought for my office. Between it and me sit two more chairs, but I might get a few more pieces for practice before I tackle it. I don’t like frustration, and the house needs more furniture. -laugh- Besides, it lets me be creative with color and texture. I don’t do much with my hands in my day-to-day work, and I need that for balance.
I’ll let you know how the chair turns out. It had two layers of upholstery on it, (a vibrant orange leather hiding a vinyl brown fax leather) and what I think was horse hair. Nasty stuff, that. I’ve got a red/brown/green paisley to recover it with. I’m not so much a traditionalist that I’ll wash the horse hair and reuse it. Give me modern foam any day, thank you, very much.