As some of you might know, I’ve been struggling with a new computer this last week. (No data was lost, and the transfer went smoothly once I got a machine that booted up right.) Might I say that the folks at Dell came through fantastically, though it took hours on the phone. Somedays, it’s better to laugh than cry, which is where the following posts came from.
- Captain’s Log, Day One: Emergency landing on planet “NewComputer” resulted in chaos as multiple systems failed to preform. Colonists are shaken. Moral is low. Still waiting to hear from home world for instructions on how to proceed. Already behind three days in setting up basic utilities. Crash survivors eyeing each other up for fat content. Officer Dell took a hit on landing, and seems dazed but determined.
- Captain’s Log, Day Two: Communication with natives of “NewComputer” not going well. Natives seem to have based their language on binary code, requiring a yes or no response to every query, stalling communication. Currently seeking higher authority for instruction, but not sure one exists. Survivors discussing if to eat small people 1st because they’re easier to catch, or big people because they will last longer.
- Captain’s Log, Day Three: Plans for “New Hollows” still being delayed due to unforeseen communication breakdown, and many want to fix ship and return to Madison. My first officer Dell had gone missing, and I’m worried.
- Captain’s Log, Day Three, Supplemental: First officer Dell has surfaced. Apparently natives of planet “NewComputer” have taken him hostage. Survivors of crash are split between leaving Dell for dead and returning home, and agreeing to natives custom of willing-hostage exchange. Natives promise their offered hostage will be bigger, stronger, and quieter than Dell. If he doesn’t freeze in a tense situation, I may consider a trade. MTK
- Captain’s Log, Day Four: All seems quiet on our new planet of NewComputer. Natives are happy with the hostage of first officer, Dell, and his replacement is making great strides in filling in with Dell’s original duties. He’s a lot bigger, and that he’s adapted to the higher gravity and is able to do everything faster then Dell is a big plus. Colonists have discovered that the native produce has a mild soporific effect. All talk of returning home has ceased, and teams have gone out to dig latrine. Bar-b-que tonight.